This recipe comes from Vicki Steine, a Phd candidate in Holistic Nutrition.
The muffins are filled with nutrients and are gluten-free. They make a great snack or addition to an egg for breakfast.
Morning Glory Muffins
2 ½ cups almond flour
1 tablespoons Cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups carrots, grated
1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup raisins
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey (optional)
½ cup coconut or avocado oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease a standard size muffin pan (12 cups)
2. Combine almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Add carrot, apple, coconut and raisins and combine well.
3. In separate bowl, whisk eggs, honey, oil and vanilla extract together.
4. Pour this mixture over your dry ingredients and mix well. This batter will be thick.
5. Spoon out into muffin pan and place on middle or upper rack for 40-50 minutes for large muffins or 20-30 for smaller ones.
6. When toothpick comes out clean, they are done.
7. Cool muffins 8-10 minutes and remove from pan to finish cooling.
Variations: Add in teaspoon of orange zest. Replace raisins with cup of chopped dates. Replace almond flour with brown rice flour. You can also make a loaf with this batter. Either one large or two smaller ones. Bake 45-60 minutes.
Tips: The smaller you can grate the apple/carrot the better. Muffins are moister if you can let the batter sit for 30-60 minutes before spooning into muffin pan.
Yield: 18 – 24 muffins.
This recipe is from the Gluten Free Paleo Comfort Food Cookbook, by Julie and Charles Mayfield